All writing in this blog are from the Masters who returned to THIS (this moment) after crossing THAT (enlightenment). Putting the names & images of the masters will change your perception about the content. That is against the teaching of the Masters. Unless all these images are dissolved, you cannot see yourself.
Millions of fingers can point to the same moon. Fingers are bound to be different -- but the moon is the same. By clinging to the fingers you will not see the moon. Forget the finger and look at where it is pointing. It is the very essence of all the teachings of all the buddhas of all the ages -- past, present, and future too.
The words of a Buddha may not be able to communicate the truth, but they can communicate the music, the music that exists in one who is enlightened.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Changing Name, adding Virtue won't help much...


I have heard about a man who was of such an angry temper that he killed his boy because he had disobeyed. And he forced his wife to jump into the well because she was trying to protect the child. The whole village gathered and the man was very much ashamed. He was so much ashamed that he said, "I will renounce the world. I am going to become a saint." A Jaina monk was in the city. He went to the monk, and the monk said, "It is a very difficult path."

The man said, "Nothing is difficult for me. You can understand -- I killed my child, I forced my wife to jump into the well. Do you think anything is difficult for me?"

The Jaina monk said, "You will have to be naked."

The man immediately threw his clothes; even the monk was shocked and surprised. But he did not understand that this was also his angry temper. The monk initiated him, and he became very famous. He was given the name Shantidas; the name means `servant of peace'.

After twenty years... he was in New Delhi. One of his friends from the village happened to be in New Delhi, so he thought, "It will be good to see how far Shantidas has gone." So he went to see him -- there was a big crowd of worshippers. Shantidas looked at him... and he recognized him, but he did not show any sign of recognition. A man of his stature cannot recognize a villager, although they have been friends. The other man immediately understood: "Nothing has changed, because he has looked at me as if he has not recognized me -- but he has recognized me. I can see it on his face."

So the man came close and said, "I have a simple question to ask. What is your name?"

This irritated Shantidas very much. He said, "You don't read the newspapers? The whole capital knows my name. My name is Muni Shantidas."
The man said, "My memory is very bad. Will you please repeat it?"

Now this was too much. He said, "I have told you! And I will repeat it, but remember: if you ask again... You know me perfectly well. My name is Shantidas."

The man said, "Just once more."

And Shantidas took his staff and said, "Once more and I will kill you!"

The man said, "There is no need to do that great work. I just wanted to know whether you had changed."

Twenty years of cultivation of all the virtues, and just a little scratch and the old man comes out. All our morality, all our cultivation is superficial. My interest is not in any superficial cultivation but in a revolution, radical, which comes out of your meditation.

No comments: